Super Fryatt Guides Foxes To Victory

Leicester 1-0 Barnsley

Leicester City’s unbeaten run to the Championship season stayed in tact with a scrappy win over bottom side Barnsley.

It was a very tense and scrappy first half; however Leicester had the first shot on target in the match. Robbie Neilson tested Barnsley keeper Luke Steele in only the 5th minute of the game.

Barnsley had a chance just after the ten minute mark, Jamal Campbell-Ryce blocked effort came out to Anderson De Silva but his resulting shot cleared the crossbar. Only a minute later Leicester had another chance to score, this time it was Matt Oakley who had an effort which also cleared the crossbar.

Twenty minutes into the first half and Leicester should have taken the lead, it was great work by Lloyd Dyer on the left and has weaved his way past two Barnsley player’s. however his shot went inches wide of the goal. Barnsley was forced to make a substitution as Rob Kozluk replaced the injured Bobby Hassell in the 21st minute.

The Tykes had a chance to take the lead on the half hour mark as Martin Devaney twenty-five yard effort was saved by Leicester keeper Chris Weale. Matty Fryatt also had a chance to score at the other end of the pitch; his volley however was comfortably saved by Luke Steele in the Barnsley goal.

Matty Fryatt had the last chance of the first half as his shot was well blocked by Barnsley defender Stephen Foster. The referee then brought an end to the first half as Leicester went into the break at a goalless draw with bottom side Barnsley. 

The second half started a lot better than the first as Leicester started well, it was also Leicester who had the first chance of the second period, Matt Oakley shot was blocked by Barnsley defender Stephen Foster.

Matty Fryatt also saw his shot blocked on Fifty-Two minutes by Barnsley midfielder Mounir El Hamour. However only two minutes later Leicester found the breakthrough, Richie Wellens picked out a perfect pass for Matty Fryatt who controlled it with excellence and finished with ease, 1-0 Leicester.

Leicester then had two more chances to make it 2-0; Paul Gallagher saw his shot blocked and Richie Wellens saw his shot go off target. Jack Hobbs also had a chance for Leicester as his header went inches wide of the target. Barnsley also had an effort on goal as Emil Hallfredsson drive was saved by Chris Weale.

Leicester then made their first substitution as Nicky Adams came on for Lloyd Dyer. After the Foxes substitution Barnsley should have equalised. Rob Kozluk was given mountains of room by the Leicester defence, however his shot was toe poked over the bar. Two minutes later Leicester could have killed off the game, Paul Gallagher saw his stinging effort well saved by Barnsley keeper Luke Steele who tipped it over for a corner.

Leicester then had another golden chance to put the game to bed. Dany N’Guessan powerful 25 yard strike was tipped over the bar by Luke Steele. Barnsley then decided to change things; Jon Macken and Adam Hammill took to the field as the replaced Iain Hume and Martin Devaney.

Ten minutes left of the game and Rob Kozluk really should have scored again. He was yet again given space by the Leicester back four; however his shot went horribly wide. Leicester then made two substitutions in the space of four minutes. Firstly Andy King replaced Paul Gallagher and Dickov came on for goalscorer Matty Fryatt. Nothing else happened after the substitutions as both defences cancelled each other out. The final whistle went as Leicester picked up another win and stayed unbeaten to there successful start to the Championship season.

Man Of The Match - Matty Fryatt scored the winner for Leicester, the striker also had a number of chances and looked really lively all game.

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.