Man Utd Review Of 2009: Part Two


After wins against Sunderland, Portsmouth, Tottenham, Middlesbrough and Manchester rivals Man City, United took on Wigan knowing that they were in touching distance of their eighteenth league title. After second half strikes from Micheal Carrick and Carlos Teves sealed the victory for the reds, United knew that only a draw against their next opponents Arsenal could give United their second piece of silverware of the season. Ferguson’s men when into this test with real confidence as they had previously beaten the Gunners in the semi final of the Champions League earlier that month but they knew it wasn’t going to be easy. Despite both sides coming close to hitting the back of the net, the game ended as a goalless draw giving Ferguson his third piece of Premier League silverware in as many years.

Fergusons next test was the Champions League final. After resting his first team squad for the last league game of the season, Ferguson and Co travelled to Rome in confidence and were preparing to face Spanish giants Barcelona. After a pretty poor performance United’s dreams of becoming the first ever club to maintain the Champions League title were dashed as goals from Samuel Eto and Lionel Messi put the game out of United’s grasp.


With United failing to retain the Champions League title, rumours started to circulate in the world’s media that Cristiano Ronaldo’s future at the club was in doubt and surely enough on the eleventh of June it was announced that Manchester United had accepted a record eighty million pound bid for the Portuguese star from Real Madrid. Despite no new signings for over two weeks, it was announced at eight o’clock on the thirtieth of June that the red devils had signed Wigan winger Antonio Valencia for a reported fee of eighteen million.


While the news of Cristiano Ronaldo’s future was in the news, there were reports stating that Carlos Teves could also be on his way out of the club as he didn’t achieve as much playing time as he wanted and these later became true. Although Carlos was offered a five year contract with the reds, he publicly came out saying that he would not be taking the offer of continuing his playing career at either Old Trafford or Anfield prompting the decision for him to move to United rivals Manchester City. With two major goal scorer on the way out of Old Trafford, Sir Alex Ferguson was forced into dipping into the transfer market once more. After the very public bidding war for French forward Karim Benzema was lost, Ferguson picked up the former Liverpool star and freelancer Micheal Owen on a two year deal after his contract expired at relegated Newcastle United. Just days later, it was announced that United had signed their third player of the transfer window Gabriel Obertan. Obertan, who is another winger, came to the club from French giants Bordeaux.

Shortly after their third signing, Ferguson’s men started to prepare for the next season and travelled to their preseason tour destination in Asia. The reds preseason tour consisted of four teams in four different countries the first of which was in Malaysia against Malaysia XI which ended two three to United with Micheal Owen Scoring the winner his first United goal on his debut. After three successful wins in their Asia tour, United finished the campaign with an amazing eight two win over Chinese team Hangzhou Greentown. Despite starting on the bench, Ryan Giggs came on in the sixtieth minute and still managed to score a hat trick for the reds.


With United winning the league, for the third consecutive year United featured in the FA Community Shield against rivals Chelsea who won the FA Cup. Despite scoring the first goal, United were soon down two one but a late goal from on form Wayne Rooney gave the Champions the chance to once again win the Shield on Penalties like last season but the blues beat them three one on penalties. With the season just a week away, Sir Alex was informed that both Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand were injured as well as Edwin Van Der Sar who got injured in Preseason. United’s first two fixtures were against the newly promoted teams Birmingham and Burnley who looked to be easy fixtures but boy were they wrong. The first game of the season against Birmingham wasn’t an easy one as the blues looked very dangerous on the attack but a thirty four minute strike from Rooney was all that separated the two sides. United travelled to newly promoted Burnley knowing that the promoted teams aren’t easy to beat as they thought and this point was proved in the nineteenth minute of the game when Burnley number ten Blake put the ball into the net way past fosters head. Despite a penalty for the reds just before half time, Micheal Carrick missed the chance for his team to equalise and the game ended one goal to nil.

Sorry about the language

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.