United’s Youngsters Fail To Step Up

After conceding an early goal in the twenty minute, United’s youngsters narrowly lost to a strong Besiktas team earlier tonight. Although United Dominated throughout with many chances, an early deflected shot from Tello put the Turks in front.

Sir Alex made eight changes to the side that beat Everton at weekend and placed his faith in youth, handing starts to both Danny Welbeck and Federico Macheda. Gabriel Obertan started his first Champions League game, while Darron Gibson was paired with Anderson in the centre of midfield. There was also a rare start for Ji-sung Park. The South Korea international has been plagued by knee trouble but made his first United appearance for two months out on the left.

It was Obertan on the opposite flank, however, who made the first meaningful impression. With barely a minute played, Anderson found the Frenchman in space and his low ball flashed across the penalty area, just inches from Macheda’s right boot. Five minutes later the Italian was again in the thick of it, teeing up Welbeck on the penalty spot. The English International shifted the ball back onto his left foot but determined defending kept the score level.

Just past the quarter hour mark, a united attack by Rafael De Silva turned into a United defence when interrupted by a stern Besiktas midfield. With Fabio out of position, Nemanja Vidic was forced out wide to try intercept Rodrigo Tello who later hit the ball goal bound thanks to a deflection from returning Fabio.

The goal shocked everyone inside Old Trafford, although it prompted no dramatic change in the Reds’ approach. Sir Alex’s men continued to stream forward in numbers and Macheda and Obertan both saw good chances blocked by desperate Turkish defending.

The reds started the second half looking to equalize with the Turkish champions but Besiktas were determined to keep their lead. The visitors enjoyed some decent early possession but did next to nothing with it. United, meanwhile, appeared content to sit back and let Besiktas have the ball so it took over eleven minutes for Ferguson’s men to have another shot conjured by Ji-Sung Park.

After replacing Fabio, Patrice Evra had strong claims for a penalty when his driving run into the box was halted by two Turkish defenders pushing him to the floor but the claim was waved away.

With only ten minutes left, the reds pushed and were within touching distance of an equalizer when Kiko Macheda headed the ball into the top corner only for an excellent save by Recber. As there were only seconds to go united obtained a corner and with the permission of Ferguson, shot stopper Ben Foster went up to try help. As Anderson drilled the ball into the area Brown and Foster both headed the ball for a flying stop by Recber.

I believe that united deserved something out of the game but with Besiktas not winning a game this Champions League they wanted the win more as united have already qualified.

(c) Oliver McGrath & Blogsfc

Feedback Wanted- Please Comment Thanks

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.