Spurs’ Crouch Offer Accepted

Portsmouth have come to an agreement with Tottenham Hotspur for England striker Peter Crouch at least according to Portsmouth manager, Paul Hart.

Despite claims by Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp only last week, that the proposed deal would be too expensive, Spurs are willing to pay £10m, with the 28-year-old set to sign a five-year contract.

Crouch will play under Redknapp for the third time in his career, after previous spells at Southampton and more recently, Portsmouth.

Hart told The Sunday Mirror: ‘Given the severe financial restraints in place here we had no choice but to accept an offer from Spurs.

‘Obviously, I’m disappointed to see Peter leave. (But) I think people need to realise that Pompey have been punching way above their weight and could no longer sustain the level of spending that has gone on her over the past three years.’

The Portsmouth manager admitted that despite the arrival of Sulaiman Al Fahim, Pompey’s dealings in the transfer market would be ‘modest’ compared to previous seasons.

He said: ‘And even though a new owner is poised to come in, our dealings in the market will be modest in comparison to the past.’

The transfer is expected to be finalised early next week, with Crouch ready to compete against Jermain Defoe, Robbie Keane, Darren Bent and Roman Pavyluchenko for a place in the Spurs’ starting eleven.

The England international looked to be in a state of limbo last week, as moves to Sunderland, Tottenham and Fulham stalled. After Crouch reportedly made it clear to Pompey bosses his desire to play for Redknapp again, the club agreed to drop the asking price.

Portsmouth scouts are already said to be identifying 21-year-old Croat, Nikola Kalinić, who currently plays for Hajduk Split, as Crouch’s potential replacement.

Kalinić has been described as ‘the future of Croatian football’, by Croatia manager, Slaven Bilić and could cost Portsmouth in the region of £6m.

Crouch - Return to White Hart Lane

One Response to “Spurs’ Crouch Offer Accepted”

  1. Daily Mirror Says:

    Hi guys, I’m here from the Daily Mirror to promote the launch of our new 2009/10 Fantasy football site. Bigger and better than ever before, if you register before midnight tonight and only before midnight tonight, teams can get free entry. With the top prize being £75,000 and a full spread of £150,000 there is nothing to lose so get playing

Leave a Reply

*
To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.